Summer lemon tart
For the sweet pastry
• 90g butter
• 65g caster sugar
• 3 free-range egg yolks
• 200g plain flour
For the lemon curd
• 4 lemons, zest and juice
• 200g caster sugar
• 100g butter
• 3 eggs, plus 1 yolk
1. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until well combined, then beat in the egg yolks, one at a time until fully incorporated into the mixture.
2. Mix in the flour until the mixture comes together as a ball of dough.
3. Tip the pastry out onto a floured work surface and knead briefly until smooth.
4. Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 30 minutes. Then roll out to the thickness of a 20 pence piece.
5. Using a round cutter ½ inch larger than your pastry ring cut the pastry and line the greased tin.
6. Line your pastry case with several layers of cling film, fill with uncooked rice or baking beans and bake for 12-15 min’s or until golden brown.
1. Put the lemon zest and juice, the sugar and the butter into a heatproof bowl. Sit the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl. Stir the mixture every now and again until all of the butter has melted.
2. Lightly whisk the eggs and egg yolk and stir them into the lemon mixture. Whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined, then leave to cook for 10-13 minutes, stirring every now and again, until the mixture is creamy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
3. Remove the lemon curd from the heat and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally as it cools. Once cooled, spoon the lemon curd into your pastry cases and leave to set in the fridge
4. Garnish with some whipped cream and candied lemons.