Simple French maple toast
For the brown-butter maple syrup:
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4cup (60 milliliters) maple syrup
- 1pinch kosher salt
For the French toast:
- 1/4cup (60 milliliters) whole milk
- 1/4cup (60 milliliters) heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds removed (optional)
- 1tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 croissants, split in half
- For the syrup: In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the butter. Let sit for 5 minutes before stirring in the maple syrup. The mixture will bubble up. Stir in the maple syrup and salt to combine and then pour into a heat-safe container to cool. You can make the syrup up to 3 days ahead and store, covered, in the refrigerator. Warm for 15 seconds in the microwave and whisk together before serving.
- For the French toast: Whisk together the milk, cream, egg, vanilla extract, vanilla seeds (if using), brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. This step can be done earlier in the day and then refrigerated until ready to use.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Give one croissant half a quick dip in the custard and then place in the hot skillet. Repeat with the remaining croissant halves. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Serve with the syrup.