Popcorn Granola Bar
Makes one 9- by 13-inch pan of bars
- 1cup almond or peanut butter
- 1/3cup honey, agave, or maple syrup
- 1/4cup unsweetened applesauce or fruit compote (I, strangely enough, used quince sauce!)
- Olive oil, as needed
- 4 to 6cups popcorn
- 1 1/2cups whole walnuts or almonds or a combination
- 1/3cup raw hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1/2cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3cup raw hulled sunflower seeds
- 1/3cup ground flax seed
- Line a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with parchment or wax paper so that you have overhang.
- In a small pot over low heat, warm the nut butter, honey, and apple sauce until melted. You want a sauce that is loose enough to cover the popcorn kernels and become evenly distributed amongst them. You may need to whisk in some olive oil (a couple of tablespoons) to achieve this consistency.
- In a large bowl, mix together popcorn, nuts, pumpkin seeds, coconut, sunflower seeds, and flax seed. Pour over the nut butter mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Dump into the prepared pan, then use plastic wrap to mush the mixture down evenly. Freeze overnight, then slice into bars! Store in the freezer.