- 3 whole oranges
- 350g ground almonds
- 350g caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 9 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 180°c (fan oven 160°c). Grease 3 x 900g loaf tins.
- To cook the oranges – cover with cold water and bring to the simmer. Simmer the oranges for 1 hour until completely cooked. Remove from the water and cut into quarters. Drain well. Remove pips and then blitz all the orange to a puree in a food processor. Leave to cool.
- To make the sponge, mix together the almonds, sugar and baking powder in bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs until the mixture trails off the whisk in thick ribbons. Fold in the almond and sugar mixture, then add the orange puree.
- Pour the cake mix into the prepared tins, only filling by two thirds.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. The cake should be firm to the touch and, if pierced with a knife, should leave the knife clean. The cake is now cooked. Leave to cool before turning out.
This recipe would also work with 4 limes or lemons or a mixture of both. Wonderful for reminiscing about Mediterranean summer holidays or just for a delicious afternoon tea!