Larb Gai (Thai Chicken Salad)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, from about 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced hot chili such as Thai bird, Serrano, or jalapeño or more to taste
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint
- Lettuce cups for serving: romaine, Little Gem, or Boston
- Steamed rice for serving
- Place the chicken and 1/4 cup water in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally to break up any clumps of meat, until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes—you don’t want to brown the chicken, so lower heat as needed.
- Meanwhile, stir together the lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar in a small bowl, until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Add scallions, shallots, and chili to skillet, and cook over low heat just until the vegetables are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the sauce, cilantro, and mint, and toss to coat.
- Serve the larb with the lettuce leaves and rice on the side