- 200g/7oz canned chickpeas
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or more
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of salt
- 100ml/3½fl oz tahini (sesame seed paste) optional
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 rounds of pitta bread
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse. Reserve a few whole chick peas for serving.
- Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, smoked paprika, salt, tahini, and water in a food processor, and blend to a creamy purée.
- Add more lemon juice, garlic, cumin or salt to taste.
- Turn out onto a dinner plate, and make smooth with the back of a spoon. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and scatter with the reserved chickpeas.
- Sprinkle with the cumin and serve with pitta bread, warmed in a moderate oven for three minutes, and cut into quarters.
Imagine the look on family or friends’ faces, when they find out you made the dip yourself!